[cma-l] Rate cards - can you share yours with the group?

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 12:19:24 BST 2015

Our rates are quite 4-6x higher than that, but with very large discounts for local businesses.

However, being in a fairly subsistence economy area we have never found spot advertising by local businesses to be a sellable proposition - there are few competing businesses (eg only one garage, only one pharmacy, only one butcher, no supermarkets, no cinemas, no big garden centres...), and everybody in our geographically large coverage area knows pretty well every business of any size in the area.

So our rates are geared up to larger businesses outwith the area that have no local equivalent, and in fact the majority of spot advertising sales come from public agencies, council, Government, health service, etc, arts organizations bringing touring productions to the area.

Our local broadcast income is almost wholly from sponsorship of programmes and spots such as the weather, What's On etc. This is from some of the more solvent local businesses that are keen to support us as a community benefit and/or to boost their community profile, rather than in expectation of any specific return on investment.

I know the situation is different in, for example, Fort William, where Nevis Radio has a thriving competitive local business environment to go at, and they seem to sell a very large inventory, but again at rates far higher than £1/spot.

I guess the thing we have in common with Nevis, Isles and Cuillin, which may be reflected in all our spot rates is that we have no commercially-based radio rivals within 50-100km, so anyone who does want to advertise on radio in our areas has no choice.

Alex