[cma-l] Breakfast Show

@CatLakeUK connect at catlake.uk
Tue May 19 12:04:59 BST 2015

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing people whitewashing failed stations
as mis-managed.

We worked 155 hours a week between my partner and I to keep the startion
ticking over. Volunteers had constant training and guidance but in some
cases were only interested in doing their two hours and leaving again. We
probably ran our station at the worst point of the recession when
businesses saw radio advertising as a luxury/gamble, even at a local level,
so refused to spend any money on it. We also found that local authorities
were happy for someone else to launch a station but wanted to do little,
even free and in kind, to help get the message out to a wider audience and
help ensure the station's future.

It was never mismanagement on the stations side ... it was complete apathy
and selfishness in the local community we were trying to serve.

The stations that survive the longest are those who are already subsidised
by someone with the capital to invest in the project (because it's their
passion/toy) and those that don't have to have to fund premises or
transmission site rates. Even our minimal budget was too high in hindsight.

We learnt a great many lessons from trying and failing, but at least we
tried and now I share that experience with the stations I work with on a
consulting/engineering basis - proud of what I achieved in the past.

Regards,
Cat Lake

*Social Technologist, Writer & Broadcaster*
* e-Commerce <http://www.artinet.co.uk/>* • *Broadcasting
<http://www.artisanbroadcast.uk/> *• *Transmission
<http://www.transplanuk.com/>*

Tel: 0333 37 00 250 • Mobile: 07973 400 423
On-line: www.catlake.uk • Twitter <https://www.twitter.com/CatLakeUK> •
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008671474506>