[cma-l] The Cost Of The DAB Trials

David Duffy david at theradiopeople.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 19:12:21 GMT 2015

Neat summary, Andy.  I would add: Speech Station £250 (DSPS licence).

Nicely detailed addendum, Alex.  That £4,000 all-in cost for the 9-months trial would buy you about 35 days (at the going rate) on one of the current multiplexes.

My advice (free!) for anyone applying is;
	(i)  Firstly, ensure you meet Ofcom’s eligibility criteria  4.24 before doing anything
	(ii) Secondly, It’s going to be competitive. So, realistically assess how your application meets each of the criteria (below) and will stand up to competitive scrutiny

Criteria:
	(i)   Does your application show that your ‘geography’ provides the optimum test environment for the trial type you have chosen
	(ii)  Does your application demonstrate that you are ready to go if they award you a licence.
	(iii) Do you have a site that is has all the approvals - what I call the 'no roadblocks’ option
	(iv) Does your application assert a full bouquet of audio content; number, scale, size, diversity, etc.  Commercial, community, internet, new entrants,  with agreements in place and DSPS licences.
	(v)  Does your application show that you are financially aware and capable (resourced) for establishing and sustain the service for the duration of the trial.

If the answer is still yes then good luck.  Let’s keep in touch. We’d love to know how it’s going with each of the ‘lucky’ ten as the trial progresses.

David
www.localDAB.co.uk <http://www.localdab.co.uk/>