[cma-l] Community Radio Spot Rate

Darren Holmes - Penistone FM darren.holmes at penistonefm.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 15:13:40 GMT 2015

Alan,

A bit of a sweeping generalisation there without understanding the nuances
of the station(s) you have looked at in the 2 minutes you took to come to
that conclusion. I think it is just as important to know your patch and your
“worth” is very much derived from that knowledge and experience. We for
example broadcast to a small rural area, approx. about 22k population, which
is less than 10% of the coverage area of our Local Station and under 2% of
the heritage ILR patch.

The majority of businesses in our area are independently owned, sole trader
or small family businesses not big car dealers or window manufacturers with
marketing teams and big budgets, you have to cut your cloth and price your
worth accordingly. After 6yrs at this, we are still on air, upgrading to new
premises and meeting our key commitments, we know our patch, our worth and
what our advertisers will pay for the coverage and return we can provide,
maybe the stations you have analysed in that two minutes know this as well
and are perhaps not “nuts”.

Thanks

Darren

Darren Holmes