[cma-l] Extending Community Radio on FM

Tony Bailey ravensound at pilgrimsound.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 10:01:34 BST 2014

If we are talking about ITU-R BS 412-9 Planning Standards for
Terrestrial FM sound broadcasting at VHF, it dates from 12/1998 and
incidentally, is a Recommendation.  Of course, we aren't far enough away
from other countries to not follow it.  To take up an earlier point, the
recent statements about VHF no-go areas clearly needs to be challenged.
For example, Central Bedfordshire which is basically Bedford county
minus Luton and Bedford.  Apart from the fact that it is a very
irregular area, it is some 30 km wide, well beyond the range of the 5 km
standard.  From information available online, there are a number of
channel groups around 15 db/uV (60-45) in Biggleswade, which is a
relatively "hot" location.  One wonders what "rules" are being applied
to generate these blanket exclusions.

Regards,  Tony Bailey