[cma-l] Extending Community Radio on FM

ROBERT TYLER bobtyler at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 28 20:09:00 BST 2014

Tony

It is my understanding that the British specification for
the FM (then VHF) band was established before the Second World War. At the
time it was considered that only the two BBC services would be on VHF. I
believe that the specifications laid down are still current and are based on
roof top aerials, as it was considered that to receive VHF such an aerial would
be required.

Also for some reason, we in the UK also decided to
employ  extra separation/guarding, in
order to prevent ANY possibility of  the
Home Service Bedford transmitter interfering with the Home Service Dover transmitter or Crewe Relay. In other words, we have more space between services
than any other country in Europe. In many respects we have the perfect VHF/FM
transmitter network.

Of course then, it was not expected that the reception of
radio would extend to telescopic aerials or tiny coil antenna, thereby making
the roof top aerial redundant. Nor even then, was the prospect of commercial or
community radio in the future mix. As a side issue, a few commercial stations and many
community radio station are in allocated BBC spectrum at the behest of Dear Old
Aunty.

The mystery of so called ‘expertise’ in planning the VHF/FM
spectrum has remained in the hand of the regulators. I do remember asking my MP
sometime in the 70’s  to lodge a written
question about an available frequency to The Home Secretary, only to receive
the reply that 101 point something was ‘used to track otters” .

I did have it confirmed that 102.2 was assigned wrongly and
should have been able to accommodate several UK allocations but apparently the
spectrum had been badly assigned at a too high a power in the East of England, (flat
terrain)  thereby rendering the space
sterile for a large part of the country.

In summary there are many issues (and many question)
surrounding spectrum allocation and the regulator of the day always hold the
mystery ticket. The ‘beauty contest’ of selecting future licence holders
compounds the decision process. The reality is that the only policy is to
switch to DAB so any FM debate is a waste of time.

Hope this helps

Bob