[cma-l] Extending Community Radio on FM

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 27 17:18:45 BST 2014

Alan - I don't recognise most of the scenario you describe here as being the UK Regulation system that we're working in today.Protection Ratios set up by IBA and RA were adopted by the ITU 50 years ago and are unlikely to change?
Not really indicative of any positive progress then.In my experience Ofcom doesn't do much on an "ad hoc" basis - quite the opposite.Commercial operators and indeed all licensed broadcasters are more than adequately protected in technical terms and all expect signal corruption on occasions when it's caused by unavoidable atmospheric conditions.Enhancement of coverage by any broadcaster is not easy - and is approached by Ofcom on a low-priority and individual merit basis - unless of course pressure is brought to bear.I would think we can all quote examples of that apparently happening.Commercial stations had power and frequency allocated in exactly the same was as is used for Community Radio - desired coverage against regional spectral occupancy.Standalone or mini-mux DAB is a long way off and should not be offered as an excuse for not dealing with the present and very real need for a seed-change in spectrum manipulation for best efficiency.There are scores of local stations out there which are ready to go on air and around half of them will be refused for what appear to be insecure and what we are told are incontestable reasons.This is not the form of Democracy that we should expect from a UK Government and its Agencies.