[cma-l] 'Celebrity' Voices in idents/sweepers

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 11:08:00 GMT 2014

I strongly agree with Pippa.Congratulate your young presenter for showing initiative, but gently point out the legal implications of Copyright.Jessie J and Ed Sheeran rely for their success and commercial viability on their voices which are morally their copyright.
Using them to promote something which they haven't agreed to is deceptive, potentially an insult to the very artists that the presenter clearly admires, and could be deemed unlawful.Would he like it if his voice was used to promote something he'd never heard of and probably didn't agree with - and he got no money for it?In any case - any sensible mature person knows that they aren't genuine endorsements.That kind of usage debases the integrity of your station.Incidentally - we've all heard those warnings "....this call may be recorded for security or training purposes....".I ask "Are you recording this conversation - because if you are my voice is my copyright and I require a copy of your recording."
That makes 'em think!