[webcast-l] Setup help

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 15:45:53 GMT 2005

hi gareth

apologies for the delay in replying - this email got buried.

gARetH baBB wrote:

> A bunch of us in Hebden Bridge are going to be playing with streaming
> audio (AKA a "radio station") and I just wanted a bit of advice.

okay.

> We can do all the low level technical stuff (icecast etc. etc.), but
> would like some advice on the practial scheduling database side of things.

good.

> We want something simple, so I've intially had a look at Lowlive - it's
> all Perl and looks like it can be hacked about to add the bits and pieces
> we need.

i've not seen Lowlive - what are its limitations apart from having to
find your way around Perl?

> But, has anyone else got any sort of suggestions for other schedulers we
> could look at which are based around individual programme scheduling
> rather than playing a load of mp3 or regulary timed "events" ?
>
> Maybe something which autogenerates a calender based on the scheduling.

i don't have much experience in this area but i am talking to someone in
Portland, Oregon who has developed something called AudioCMS which
sounds promising - i'm just trying to get more details from him and get
him to send me the code  :o)

another contact tells me he has built a daily broadcasting/archiving
system for Democracy Now! (http://www.democracynow.org/) using various
open source tools - this is written in Perl and scheduled using cron and
it runs on Linux using these components:

>> Ices/Icecast for getting the audio into the machine and out to the
>> world live.
>>
>> Perl modules:
>> use Net::FTP;
>> use Net::HTTP;
>> use Digest::MD5;
>> use Getopt::Long;
>> use XML::Writer;
>> use XML::Parser;
>> use Audio::Ecasound qw(:simple);
>> use IO qw(File);
>> use Date::Calc qw(Day_of_Week
>>                    Day_of_Week_to_Text
>>                    Month_to_Text);

again, i'll try to get more details about this for you.

there are some good linux resources for sound/radio at these two sites:

http://linux-sound.org/
http://ross.sourceforge.net/

give me another week and i'll see what i can come up with.

all the best

bill best
--
community media association