[webcast-l] Chosing software

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 19:03:58 GMT 2005

Hi

Ben Edwards wrote:

> We have managed to stream live events using darkice but are
> investigating other solutions.

Excellent.

> Muse from dyne.org seemed a almost perfect solution but I cant compile a
> stable version and there is not much of a support community.

Muse certainly has a reputation for being unstable.
What distro are you running?

If you have apt installed then you could always try:

apt-get install muse

There's a link to some pre-built binaries here which should work:

http://www.muse-sequencer.org/wiki/index.php/Download

> Have just started looking at videoLAN but have not actually tried it.

Perhaps VideoLAN is worth a try then.

> What we are looking for is something that can stream OGG and MP3.  We
> are streaming both line and files and want something fairly user
> friendly.

Having had a good look around, I have not come up with anything more
than can be found here:

http://www.icecast.org/3rdparty.php

It looks like there is only ezstream and Icegenerator left to try - good
luck!  I'll keep looking however.

> Ben

With best regards

Bill Best