[webcast-l] Setup help

Ben Edwards (lists) lists at videonetwork.org
Thu Mar 3 17:58:01 GMT 2005

We are at a smiler stage to you although we have streamed a few live
events.  Firstly you do not need to run icecast if you are upstreaming
to toe CMS.   By advice is to join the CMA if you have not already and
use there icecast server.  This will massively reduce the technical
expertise and give you a reasonable amount of bandwidth.

As for your infrastructure I would recommend using one PC for live
encoding (a 600 Mhz should do it, the type companies throw out).  If you
want to do playlists you can them use another very low spec PC.  you may
also want to invest in a cheap 5 channel mixer (£15 from marlins).  The
reason for this is that otherwise going from live to playlists will
require interrupting the stream.   You simply fade in/out.  We have
found darkice is very solid and simple to use.

Regards,
Ben