[Community Television] Ofcom chief defends plans for PSB (Modified by Michelle McGuire)

Chris Haydon c.haydon at can-online.org.uk
Wed Oct 6 17:45:28 BST 2004

Response to Stephen Carter
from Chris Haydon
Director, Community TV Trust

£150,000 per hour for public service broadcasting/programming ...

My God and I ran an innovative project for less for a YEAR !
It reached and touched the lives of fifty organisations and
schools and still stands today doing its work and will do so
for years to come. It gave training, made equipment grants,
helped people break through fear, doubt, reluctance, and other
familiar stumbling blocks.

Is it not a thought that in this age of new media and self-
generated media that funding be considered that empowers
individuals and groups and also encourages media literacy and
creativity ?

Having just had a 100% funding reduction for this innovative
work (that has attracted superb testimonials and so on), there
may be an edge to these comments. Pennilessness however can
sharpen perception.

I ask Stephen Carter if he might re-consider his allocation of
funding. There is a way to have the public produce its own
prgramming instead of requiring 'the Media' to intervene and
show them how the world is. Now that would be a Public Service.

Ordinary people everywhere are proving that technical and
conceptual barriers between them and media makers are less
and less significant. The digital revolution has enabled this
transformation of possibility.

Ofcom, please consider the broadband market as well as the
broadcast market.

We really should be talking about Public Service Media anyway,
not limiting ourselves to a 'broadcasting' debate.
- - - - -
www.communitytvtrust.org
www.southwark.tv