[comradio-l] sons of directors and trustees

Norman Polden haymere at uwclub.net
Mon Feb 22 21:23:40 GMT 2010

In our organisation the son of one of our Directors and Trustees is self
employed doing plumbing, electrical wiring, building and technical work, and
has copious experience in that field.

He is married and in his mid 30's.

Because he is obviously interested in our Community Radio station, and
actually helped to found it, he is willing and well able to do technical,
building and DIY tasks around the station. Being self employed he can make
time available to do such work, but he does need to be paid. Because of his
interest and enthusiasm for community radio the hourly rate he quotes is
much lower than many of the alternative people we would and do get a quote
from.

But ... I am told that the Charity Commission does not allow us to employ
the son of a Trustee. Is that true ? Does anyone in Commedia have a similar
situation and experience of how to effectively and legally use such a
valuable and willing resource ?

Norman Polden, Station Manager, Flame CCR