[comradio-l] Community radio using medium wave

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 12:55:54 BST 2008

Dear all

The idea is (at present) that any stations on AM Medium Wave will get
first refusal for freed up FM in their areas, regardless of BBC needs.
On the other hand the DRWG might suggest that AM Medium Wave is NOT
switched off.  It is not clear yet re Long Wave.  Re longer term, IF the
criteria for setting a road map for the migration of all national and
large regional stations are met, then for a significant amount of time
FM would be retained for small local commercial and community radio
stations, until the plan for their migration was completed.  That is the
state of play at the moment in the DRWG.

We at the CMA would welcome your views on this and other aspects of the
interim report as we will be representing your views in the second phase
of DRWG work, starting in August.  This will be the major opportunity to
ensure the needs and views of the sector are included in the Final Report.

I look forward to hearing from you.

With best wishes

Jaqui

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

Norman Polden wrote:
> Flame CCR was offered a MW licence by Ofcom, there being no FM
> frequencies for Wirral.
>
> We now see the recent DCMS strategy for analogue which says that small
> commercials and community stations will stay on FM beyond 2020 with MW
> being switched off in 2020. I have asked Ofcom to confirm that there are
> still no FM frequencies available - there is a rumour that BBC Radio
> Cheshire will not now be launched on FM.
>
> Does anyone have a vision of the future - will MW really be switched
> off, will it only be DAB or will the DRM alternative appear again ? We
> are about to spend a lump of our hard gained money on building an AM
> antenna and do not want it to be redundant after 10 years.
>
> Does any of the other CR stations launching on MW have a view on what
> the future holds?
>
> Norman Polden, Station Manager, Flame CCR (Wirral)
>
>  >>> click on http://www.flameccr.org.uk and listen to "Flame on the Web"

Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities