[comradio-l] Community radio using medium wave

Norman Polden haymere at uwclub.net
Thu Jul 3 12:44:11 BST 2008

Flame CCR was offered a MW licence by Ofcom, there being no FM
frequencies for Wirral.

We now see the recent DCMS strategy for analogue which says that small
commercials and community stations will stay on FM beyond 2020 with MW
being switched off in 2020. I have asked Ofcom to confirm that there are
still no FM frequencies available - there is a rumour that BBC Radio
Cheshire will not now be launched on FM.

Does anyone have a vision of the future - will MW really be switched
off, will it only be DAB or will the DRM alternative appear again ? We
are about to spend a lump of our hard gained money on building an AM
antenna and do not want it to be redundant after 10 years.

Does any of the other CR stations launching on MW have a view on what
the future holds?

Norman Polden, Station Manager, Flame CCR (Wirral)