[comradio-l] [cma-l] Community radio using medium wave

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 09:43:47 BST 2008

Dear all

Re the BBC and planned migration, this still not firmly decided and
there will be more DRWG work on this in the autumn, presumably our
favoured position would be that it does migrate all its national
services at the same time as national and large regional commercial
services?

There is not really a "digital dividend" as with the UHF spectrum.
However, as things stand today, using DAB as the platform (rather than
more advanced Eureka 147 platforms) there is not enough room on the
multiplexes for all existing radio broadcasters (compression and all
that).  We must assume (and fight for?) that more advanced technologies
will eventually be adopted, in theory then making it possible for all
services including the community radio sector to migrate.  However,
there is still the question of AM Long Wave - in times of crisis (war,
floods etc) there would still need to be some form of emergency
broadcasting, so LW or solar powered digital?

The DRWG is already discussing at length with manufacturers on producing
hybrid multi chip digital radios including FM as well.  This is
necessary so that the listener can "seamlessly" travel between digital
channels and FM channels.  Also, as there is no agreed European
standard, radios need to be Euro proof, both in car radio and portable.
  There is also the possibility that in some more remote parts of the
UK, DAB will never be rolled out (bit like the last mile broadband
issue) so the BBC would continue to use FM in those places to maintain
universal reach?

That is how things stand at the moment.  The CMA welcomes any views you
have on these or any other parts of the Interim Report (or anything else
for that matter), so keep the debate rolling...  The Final Report will
be produced late November.

Best wishes

Jaqui

Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities