[cma-l] FW: the pudding

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 09:48:14 GMT 2017

Bill et al,

I’ve been giving this some thought and have exchanged a couple of emails with James off list.

As Let’s Talk Business is one of the larger syndicate shows we need to track our audience across around 100 stations. By the nature of community radio, all traditional mechanisms are a non-starter.

For the purposes of working out a national audience, we get close enough…

The average MCA of a community station is around 35,000 people whereas the average MCA for a commercial station (excluding London FM) is 700,000 = 20 times greater. This means even exceptionally engaged individual community stations with a high share won’t increase a campaigns exposure as much as a moderate commercial station.

We also accept that in most areas the community station will not be the first choice, so their share will be less than the best one or two commercial stations in their market.

This means we use an 8% - 15% reach for established community stations. We often don’t include audience figures for stations who have only been on-air under a year.

We know that commercial stations TSAs are between 20% – 40% higher than their MCA as both are published. And as Ofcom have also published community stations MCA’s, we can derive a proxy TSA for each community station.

We make further adjustments for other factors but these add rigour to the estimation and often become lost in a rounding error.

Finally, when we launch our new show shortly we’ll have an improved system able to give daily daypart estimations. Which absolutely no one has asked for! J

Kind Regards

Alan

Alan Coote

Email - alan.coote at MonogramMedia.co.uk

Phone - 0800 949 6655

Mobile - 07801 518858

Twitter - @TheAlanCoote

Twitter - @LTBShow