[cma-l] Licensing and VAT

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 10:04:22 GMT 2017

The answer from my viewpoint Geoff is that the PRSfM and PPL payments are commercial service charges which is why they are subject to VAT at the current rate.
The Royalties organisations are commercial businesses, they are not Licensing Authorities as is Ofcom.

They refer to their invoice/agreement as a "Licence" whereas it fact it is not.
As has been pointed out recently here and elsewhere, neither association has ever submitted an application to the Copyright Tribunal for a mandate under the Copyright Acts and is relying solely on its own assertion of its entitlement to collect revenue.
You may choose to make a decision as to whether you feel  they are acting transparently and within the Law.
You will probably have guessed mine.

Ian Hickling

Partner

[https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/2SkDsnIzSZgRbNnNKBSiwxiFhFQWRGV55mTjVL23fulnJpstZmYxeKrrYefY4qxiSgkMrAETld64XINLXCsujE_zI5gAsQyWeCWvHixcrNYtar3Sij4YlVBgN2NSQ-n2DsgZvrnpWZlfwCQ=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.transplanuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/transplan_UK_weblogo_190x60.png]<http://www.transplanuk.com/>

Office: 016 3557 8435  (07h to 22h GTS)

Car: 075 3098 0115 (only responds when driving)

6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS