[cma-l] [EXT] Re: Outside broadcasting recommendation

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 15:14:17 BST 2017

We've used a variety of systems over the years. We had good results from IPDTL, but also have positive experiences of the currently free Cleanfeed and Source Elements. The benefits of having a return feed is that a good engineer can setup return talkback, with is handy if you plan to play music from the studio end. We've also heard of a local commercial station favouring the recorded approach, using Dropbox to send files back to the studio where a tech op plays them out.

I suspect a lot of IP calling systems will start to do an equally good job fairly soon and so these are worth looking at. The hazard with IP is you are at the mercy of the strength and speecd of the internet. Beware of using wifi anywhere that the public can too, as you may suddenly find you can't get online!

Richard

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio
Programme Leader