[cma-l] Funding News - Community Business Fund (UK)

Martyn Haynes martyn.haynes at wcrfm.com
Mon Apr 3 23:46:12 BST 2017

Dan, We pretty much had a similar response back in June or July last year;

“Broad community impact – Your application did not demonstrate how
your project would positively benefit a range of people within your
community. However, you did provide strong evidence in relation to
Locally rooted, Accountable to the local community and Trading for the
benefit of the local community.”

Bill, Thanks, I remember the post from last time this was discussed.

The advice is;

4) Broad Community Impact
Impact is about how you are changing lives. This could be a wide range
of things - we would advise you to talk more about those who come
through the door, than those who tune in. This could include how
people learn skills, an apprenticeship programme, reducing loneliness
and isolation, etc. They don't want to see just one specific group
benefiting from a project, this needs to be broad. When developing new
resources, they need to see the right balance, to show sustainability.
For example, if they were to fund a new training studio, how would it
be accessed by different groups? Who would pay – and at what rates.
Different rates for different customers could mean it brings in a good
income, whilst being accessible to all.

Again, I wont post our precise application here but it was probably
the strongest we've ever written and featured a very detailed
description of the people who use our service and how it benefits a
broad range of people and concerned things like health, poverty,
housing, environmental/recycling projects and community safety,
including those most under represented in our area (Black, Asian and
Minority Ethnic, Elderly, People Living in poverty, Refugees and
migrant) not to mention the training for both volunteers and also for
other community organisations to develop their own media skills in
order to advance their goals.

I'd be interested to see a winning bid because it does seem that the
door at Power To Change is firmly shut towards community radio and
advice on how to get though it is rather woolly - I'm really not sure
it's worth the time this time around to be honest.

That said, Maybe those of us who qualified for one or more of the
objectives but were rejected on the other(s) can share knowledge
privately.

Martyn