[cma-l] Birmingham and beyond

Dom Chambers domchambers at somervalleyfm.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 13:04:15 BST 2016

To CMA Members,

As the person who has led on organising a few of the annual community media conferences I would like to publicly thank the CMA for an excellent conference at City of Birmingham University last weekend. The venue was spot on and the opportunities to share, learn and network were well thought out. Let us not forget that much of this is brought together and helped through volunteer goodwill. We know that the hours Bill puts in means he is properly considered as a major volunteer on top of his contracted services. Council are all volunteers and I particularly noticed how well planned and organised they were in ensuring we had the best from the day. The success of the Community Radio Awards comes as more than icing on the cake. It is one of the most positive developments for community broadcasting in years. Martin Steers is to be congratulated for turning his vision into a reality and leading a team of dedicated volunteers.

The strength of the annual conference is a good example of how the representative organisation supports its members and the sector. Despite dwindling resources, over successive years, the CMA remains a strong support to those of us delivering community media in the UK. The CMA have released their strategy report for the next five years. It offers a strong vision. Now we have an opportunity to build on the positives of the Birmingham conference and awards.  We can really engage together as a member's organisation to ensure we find a way forward that turns that vision into the strong leadership we are in need of. The hook for this is our AGM in December. The CMA will be releasing their summary report of the member's survey and a business plan over the autumn. There will be further communications regarding the governance structure. Let us all engage with the process and support the CMA to support us by leading us as a better resourced organisation.  I for one, and I know there are many others, will do what we can to help that happen.

Thank you to Bill, Lucinda, council, Siobhan and Neil from the university and all the organisations who led on a great range of breakout sessions and contributed to the panel discussions. The conference has given us the feel good factor. It is the best starting point for finding the pathway forward. See you in December.

Best to all,

Dom

[cid:image001.png at 01D15A76.E656BD20]

[cid:image002.gif at 01D15A76.E656BD20]

Dom Chambers
Station Manager | Director

01761 568004 Ext:150
07802 457396

DomChambers at SomerValleyFM.co.uk<mailto:DomChambers at SomerValleyFM.co.uk>

@

www.SomerValleyFM.co.uk<http://www.somervalleyfm.co.uk/>
TheDomChambers