[cma-l] ONE FOR THE WEEKEND

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 16:59:02 BST 2016

I entirely agree with you about the alternative delivery means.

Ofcom permitting, I could quadruple my potential FM audience by adding
another FM relay, and there would be no change to the PPL/PRS minimum
charges, yet if add a DAB service that is serving only the same population
as the FM service, or add an Internet simulcast to reach a few dozen extra
souls, they pile extra charges on the minimum fee.

And PPL's attitude to charging for the DAB trials was truly shameful - I
know it was the last straw for some who would otherwise have been keen to
take part in trials. A clear case where in a just world the applicants
should have been able to argue their case before a Copyright Tribunal, but
of course none could have taken the financial risk involved, and so none had
an effective legal remedy other than to accept being shafted.

Alex