[cma-l] Sell-out success for the Community Media Conference 2016

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Sep 14 18:32:57 BST 2016

Volunteers, students and professionals who are passionate about improving
their communities met in Birmingham on Saturday 10th September, to learn
from, and inspire, one another.

The event was the annual Community Media Conference, and those who came
represent small independent radio stations, TV channels and publishers from
all over the UK. The event was hosted by Birmingham City University, where
staff and students share the same passion as those who came along – for
bringing all kinds of people together to create local, not-for-profit media.

Professor Tim Wall of the University welcomed delegates at the start of the
day and the Conference featured speakers from the Arts Council, BBC,
Bristol Cable, the British Library, Ofcom, PPL, PRSfM, Radio Academy, Radio
Regen, and more.

The event is the UK’s premier community media conference and was a great
opportunity for delegates to network with other industry professionals and
catch-up with the issues currently influencing the sector.

Lucinda Guy, Chair of the Community Media Association, said:

“We wanted to celebrate the many achievements of community media, but not
shy away from the difficulties. Ten years on from the launch of the
community radio licence in the UK, many of our members are struggling. It
makes such a huge difference for us to come together like this and learn
from one another, and to meet stakeholders such as the BBC, Ofcom and Arts
Council England face to face. There was a real buzz at this year’s
conference, and a friendly, festival atmosphere. Awkward questions were
asked, and we laughed and learned together“.

Bill Best, Operations Manager at the Community Media Association, said:

“This year’s Conference was one of our most successful ever due to a number
of factors including the venue location, the Conference programme, and our
association with the inaugural Community Radio Awards. We look forward to
making next year’s event and even bigger success - work on 2017 has started
already”.

Martin Steers, CMA Council member and Awards Chair, said:

"This year was one of the best CMA conferences I have attended, a fantastic
lineup of speakers with great panels and breakouts, the theme and
discussions at this years event really work with what community media is
achieving in their communities.

I am so happy that we had the Awards after the Conference - what a great
way to continue the conversations and networking but also bring those
people together with more for the awards to celebrate community radio".

The Community Media Conference 2016 had a packed programme including two
keynote panel discussions on:

1)      How Ideas and Individuals flow between Mainstream and Community
Media”  with:

   - Chris Burns (Chair of Radio Academy and Head of Group Operations, BBC
   Radio),
   - David Holdsworth (Controller, BBC English Regions - responsible for
   the BBC’s local output and news-gathering across England)
   - Michael Umney (Production Manager at Resonance FM, radio features
   producer for the BBC and Poetry Society podcaster)
   - Siobhan Stevenson, Birmingham City University School of Media

This panel was chaired by Lucinda Guy of Soundart Radio and Chair of the
Community Media Association. A key takeaway for delegates from this session
is that David Holdsworth extends an open invitation to every community
radio station to get to know their local BBC Radio Editor better over a cup
of tea.

2)      Community Media for Social Change: how hyperlocal media can deliver
positive social benefits with:

   - Dom Chambers - Somer Valley FM and Radio Academy Affiliates group
   - Dave Harte – Senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University
   - Koel Mukherjee - representing the Bristol Cable Media co-operative,
   created and owned by over 1,200 people in the city
   - Dean Puckett - film-maker at Grasp The Nettle Films

This panel was chaired by Caroline Mitchell (author, academic and
researcher on the Transnational Radio Encounters project) who also took the
opportunity to show delegates the prototype of a map browser for online
community radio stations.

The Conference also featured breakout workshop sessions on

   - Accessing Arts Council funding - Peta Murphy-Burke & Alison Vermee
   - Health projects on community radio – Phil Korbel, Radio Regen
   - Ofcom licensing and technical review – Graham Plumb & Susan Williams
   - PPL & PRSfM licensing - Lucy Cousins (PPL), Laura Mullinger (PRSfM)
   - Save Our Sounds national archive - Luke McKernan, British Library
   - Small-scale DAB update – Dean Kavanagh, Switch Radio

Delegates were also informed about a new initiative to develop a national
community radio advertising scheme by Bill Hensley from Huntingdon
Community Radio for which over 50 new sign-ups were recorded.

Feedback from the delegates has been overwhelming positive and the sector
looks forward to 2017.

The Community Media Conference was followed by the inaugural Community
Radio Awards event which was a resounding success with almost 50 entries
from across the country being recognised.

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video
http://www.canstream.co.uk/