[cma-l] UBER campaign and Radio Response weekly bulletin...

James Cridland james at cridland.net
Sun Oct 23 06:57:23 BST 2016

Ian,

The "body-worn tag" (aka the Portable People Meter) is considerably more
expensive than research run the traditional way using an online or paper
diary. The majority for RAJAR are online, incidentally.

Electronic measurement is in use in only a few countries, and has
significant issues. Some claim it doesn't work very well, particularly for
certain formats, like jazz or spoken word, which has seen figures decrease
remarkably since PPM's introduction.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/did-nielsen-kill-the-radio-star/ has
more information, as well as details of Voltair, an "Optimod" for the PPM
signals. It also notes that RAJAR's research discovered that PPM simply
failed 41% of the time to notice listening.

PPMs also normally work when you're wearing them. Most of my listening is
to my radio alarm in bed, and then in the shower - two environments when
I'm unlikely to be wearing a little pager device. PPMs also don't work on
audio on headphones, unless you have the will to chain your wired
headphones through the device using a nest of cables. It won't work on
Bluetooth headphones at all.

And because PPMs are considerably more expensive to run than a paper diary,
the sample sizes are typically rather smaller in the US. That particularly
hurts niche broadcasters, and makes figures much more 'noisy'.

In my humble opinion, they're entirely unsuited for community radio - and,
for that matter, for more conventional radio as well. If the main issue
with RAJAR is that it's a sampling exercise, the PPM can't fix that (and
mostly exacerbates it since the sample size actually decreases). If the
main issue with RAJAR is that it's too expensive, the PPM is way more so.
It fixes nothing and adds significant uncertainty.

The community radio industry would do well to agree on a methodology
(including a minimum sample size and method of making it demographically
reflective), and then to allow individual stations to do surveys based on
that methodology. Some might choose to employ RAJAR; others might choose a
different research company; others still might use a friendly university.
But if there's an agreed methodology and the numbers can be inspected to
ensure compliance, that would seem to be the right step forward, rather
than the unreliable dodo of electronic measurement.

//j

On 21 October 2016 at 20:55, Ian Hickling <transplanfm at hotmail.com> wrote:

> An excellent achievement Matthew - congratulations.
> Taking up your point about your plan  to get the Community Radio Fund
> to subsidise a standardised audience measurement system, do you have any
> indication of a willingness in that area?
> Apart from the widely-held doubts as to the accuracy and
> subsequent reliability of the RAJAR format, and the potential high cost
> and low take-up/return aspects, is this not an ideal opportunity to again
> explore the feasibility of the body-worn tag that eliminates the risk of
> human influence on the record produced?
>

> Ian Hickling
>
> Partner
>
> <http://www.transplanuk.com/>
>
> *Office: 016 3557 8435 <016%203557%208435>  (07h to 22h GTS)*
>
> *Car: 075 3098 0115 <075%203098%200115> (only responds when driving)*
>
> *6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS*

https://james.cridland.net - get my weekly newsletter
https://media.info - the media information website

Tel: +61 447 692 743 | UK tel: 020 7100 1811 ('till midday)
@jamescridland | facebook.com/radiofuturologist

Amazingly Brilliant Pty Ltd | ABN 30 612 913 514