[cma-l] Community Radio Fund & the CMA

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Tue May 17 18:39:35 BST 2016

Phil

I suggested all of this 3 years ago ..... and rammed it home week in week
out ...... sadly, one or two of our crew decided to say that anything that
went two decibels above walking on eggshells was actually ranting. Anyway, I
have gone past that a long time ago.

Back of a fag Packet ???!   yup   you are spot on Phil. This Community Radio
idea and the way it could operate in a simple straight forward way for
everyone could all be done on the back of a fag packet. I could do it with
my eyes shut.

It's been made complicated by the Powers that be and the commercials, many
of whom pretend 'they don't mind us being here' when actually they do. So
behind closed doors they still lobby on the idea that we are some kind of
threat. We are only a threat if their Station is a mickey mouse outfit
...any other time we are no threat. We only have 25 watts !

Equal payments from whatever fund is an absolute MUST as it in itself works
within the ethos of Community Radio. I know this sounds a bit like
Communism, and the word Community sounds likes Communism, but it isn't, it
is all to do with Common sense   (common also sounding like commune)   LOL

1) Earnings are going down for Community Radio = FACT

2) The Fund pro rata is going down = FACT

3) 15 have gone belly up = FACT       more to follow    possible = FACT
if no one acts now

4) Certain restrictions are still in place = FACT

5) The handful of Engine Drivers at each Station are battle weary and tired
[but still determined nonetheless] = FACT

6) Any new initiatives or new money ... Community Radio NEVER gets included
= FACT

7) Lots and Lots of reasonable and sensible suggestions and arguments have
been put forward over the 14 years, the majority of which (well, nearly all)
have been tossed back in our face = FACT

8) All the original ideas as to why we ended up with the barmy rule book
over the years have never come to pass, they have never been proved and are
a complete falsehood and red herring = FACT

9) We (Community Radio) have never had a Plan B = FACT

Community Radio is quite a simple, beneficial, worthy, inexpensive thing to
operate ...... knocking each little silly skittle over as a team one by one
with the DCMS / Ofcom / CMA / Commercials could easily be done = FACT

Why not go full hog ---- and then 'IF' mini problems started to arise for
the commercials we tweak and go and re-instate smaller versions or
restrictions.
Once again, this is not difficult. I don't want to see any Radio Station
fall over, be them Commercial or BBC.

Put a decent fund forward ........I believe in Australia it is about not far
short of £10 Million and they've less Stations than us (I think ?)
£50,000 Grand for each Station and our boys down the road at Silk can have a
free-for-all, they can have ALL the Advertisers.

I tell you all one more time .... the model has invented problems that don't
actually exist. And there is money available, plenty of it, it's just they
spend it on white elephants and nonsense = FACT

Oh and one final thing seeing as PPL/PRS have been mentioned again .... net
broadcasting for ALL Community Radios is nil / zero / zilch, we're all
not-for-profit, so minimum fee for everyone .... yes Phil    do it as a
block booking. Once again an easy method for all, but they choose to take
the difficult method = FACT !

Nick H Numpty Dumpty