[cma-l] UpsidedownNews

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Tue Mar 8 18:10:53 GMT 2016

It's interesting to "compare and contrast" these small scale DAB trials
with the "Access Radio" pilots.

Hopefully I've got the time scales "more or less" right here (someone do
please correct me if I'm wrong.)

2001 - Radio Authority sort applications from interested parties to take
part in Access Radio trial.

2002 - Pilot stations launched "12 month" trial.

2003 onwards - numerous "extensions" of trial licences. Ultimately until
31st December 2005.

2003/4 Legislation for Community Radio proceeds.

2004 Full time Community Radio licences advertised.

2005 First "Community Radio Licenced" station launches.

2006 Most of the pilots commence full licence.

2006/7 'Round One' Community Radio licences launch.

Between 2002 pilots starting and the opportunity for others to apply and
start broadcasting under a Community Radio licence several years down
the line there were many "interested parties" ready and waiting "biting
at the bit" to get a licence and go "on-air".

Sounding familiar with the situation today with interested parties with
the small scale DAB?

So I can see a perfectly reasonable argument for Ofcom to extend the trials.

However I'd be asking for reassurances that just like the Access Radio
pilots that the relevant "processes" needed to get licencing for others
to apply to be "part of the party" is put in place while these
extensions are in place. Logic dictates this must be the "general plan"
unless Ofcom are just going to roll over a second extension.

However this is were my analogy with the Access Radio pilots hits a road
block. In areas with 'high demand', lets case study Greater Manchester
here, not only did Ofcom find "space" for the two "incumbent" access
radio pilot stations to stay on-air, but also numerous other "new
comers" on FM.

This probably won't be the case of multiple "interested parties" to
operate DAB multiplexes in addition to the incumbent pilot.

Having said that Greater Manchester is an unusual conurbation in such
high density of "radio stations" in one urban conurbation. That's
probably only equalled by the Greater London conurbation who, in the
main, haven't even had the same bite of the "FM cherry" for community
radio operators.

On the other hand I could just argue to just get the nationals and
regional's off FM in the majority of "mainland" UK were there is DAB
equivalence, let the smaller Community and Commercial stations have
higher TX powers on clear frequency allocations to give decent field
strength in their core service areas and encourage receiver
manufacturers to build sets that display the FM RDS station names in the
same "station list" as the DAB stations for users to select from and
everyone would be happy!

Phil.