[cma-l] Radio Link Transmission systems

Geoff Rogers geoff at susyradio.com
Mon Jun 6 17:46:13 BST 2016

On 6 June 2016 at 16:44, Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio <tlr at gairloch.co.uk>
wrote:

> Well, I’m glad I asked the question – I had no idea so many stations used
> continuous off-air monitoring. Thanks Serge.
>

> Sure, confidence checks on the off-air signal are a good idea – as I said,
> we have a reception/kitchen radio going all the time as well.
>

> Having the meters showing the off-air signal would indeed seem a very
> dicey prospect – the presenter gets no direct feedback as to whether they
> are running suitable levels or not, and could unwittingly/carelessly let
> the desk output levels wander ever-higher, as the processor kept things to
> a steady level, until very high levels of compression distortion and
> possibly even clipping started to give the game away to cloth ears?! Or
> ever lower, with the main clue being steadily rising noise levels and loss
> of dynamic processing.

The meters on our desk represent desk o/p not transmitter o/p hence
presenters can keep an eye on the levels while still hearing how it sounds
on air.  And if you can hear exactly what you sound like on air it makes
the sound mix better on the air.  Of course if linking digitally or using
DAB, then you don't have the luxury but stations I've been with have an
extra low latency processor to feed the desk headphone o/p to get simulated
off air listening.

> What happens when people are prerecording shows? Don’t they wonder why
> their voices sound quite different than when they are listening to the
> processed output on live shows?

Yes they are warned about this, and this seems to work for us.

Geoff
--
Geoff Rogers
Programme Director

Susy Radio Ltd. A company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office: 54 Nutfield Road, Merstham, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 3EP.
Registered Number: 06748586