[cma-l] Radio Link Transmission systems

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 16:44:47 BST 2016

Well, I’m glad I asked the question – I had no idea so many stations used continuous off-air monitoring. Thanks Serge.

Sure, confidence checks on the off-air signal are a good idea – as I said, we have a reception/kitchen radio going all the time as well.

Having the meters showing the off-air signal would indeed seem a very dicey prospect – the presenter gets no direct feedback as to whether they are running suitable levels or not, and could unwittingly/carelessly let the desk output levels wander ever-higher, as the processor kept things to a steady level, until very high levels of compression distortion and possibly even clipping started to give the game away to cloth ears?! Or ever lower, with the main clue being steadily rising noise levels and loss of dynamic processing.

What happens when people are prerecording shows? Don’t they wonder why their voices sound quite different than when they are listening to the processed output on live shows?

Alex