[cma-l] Community Radio Joint Music Licence

Richard Hilton Richard.Hilton at bitc.org.uk
Fri Jul 15 18:25:09 BST 2016

To be fair I should take back my initial comments about this not looking like a survey. Alan’s comments that they don’t ask about the staff they have employed who gained experience from community radio is valid.

To save you the time going through their questions, below is a quick summary of the survey:-

Do you strongly agree, agree, neither agree or disagree, disagree etc to the following:-

Question : Community radio stations are distinct from commercial radio

Question : Community radio stations are successful in delivering social objectives (or social gain), including training and outreach work with local communities

Then a set of questions about the impact community radio has had and might have in future on their 1) Ad revenue and 2) audience.

It then asks if they have contacted Ofcom with concerns or complaints about community radio and if yes, please provide details and whether you were satisfied with Ofcom’s response and whether you think it had any effect.

Question :- Do you believe Ofcom regulates community radio effectively?
Question:- Please tell us if your station(s) or group has been impacted in any other way by the activity of local community radio stations - providing brief examples where applicable.
“The list below, which is not exhaustive, highlights some of the principal issues.

-          Commercial activity
-          Nature of editorial content/ speech
-          Distinctiveness of music (ideally supported by data)
-          Compliance with key commitments
-          New licence applications
-          Transmission/ technical issues”

So the survey assumes commercial stations are knowledgeable in whether we are successful in delivering social objectives (or social gain), including training and outreach work with local communities.  It also assumes they are experts in how Ofcom regulates our sector.

It would have been interesting to see them ask where, given all the threats they face (BREXIT, BBC, online advertising, economy etc.) where community radio stands in the hierarchy of threats to their audience and ad revenue.

But they are communicating with their members and hopefully the answers will challenge the apparent bias and ignorance in some of their questions. And hopefully they will share some of their finding with us and no just issue a press release and start lobbying Ofcom.

Richard