[cma-l] Joint PRS/PPL licences

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 13:45:01 BST 2016

No Ian, it’s definitely not income less all operating costs, wish it were!
We have been over this many times at length in past year’s postings, but as
a reminder

For the purposes of collecting society charges, Net Broadcast Revenue is
defined simply as Gross Airtime Revenue less 20%.

(It’s only income from airtime related activities that is counted for
royalty payments, and in this context, the word “net” means net of the costs
of bringing in that airtime revenue. The major cost is assumed to be agency
commission, which of course varies, but for simplicity a flat rate allowance
of 20% is made. There are additional allowances for the costs of putting on
sponsored OBs.)

The gross revenue is any revenue received in return for on-air broadcasting
activities, generally adverts and sponsorship, and including the value of
barter deals where no money actually changes hands.

The amount claimed by the collecting societies is generally a percentage (eg
2% or 3%) of that NBR, subject to a minimum charge that is paid even if net
revenue is zero.

Alex