[cma-l] Joint PRS/PPL licences

Colin Pearse colin at susyradio.com
Sat Jul 2 00:28:00 BST 2016

Hi............................I would add this comment but slightly on a
different tack in regard to the proposed new joint PPL / PRS licence
proposals.  LET US NOT FORGET the highly unfair tariffs that made
undertaking RSL's so stupidly expensive. Problem is that once you have
gained your full time licence its easy to forget the cross most of us have
had to suffer in paying what were very inflated rates for short term low
power temporary broadcast licenses. I always felt that this was almost a
case for investigation by the Office of Fair Trading.  Prior to our full
licence we did 18 RSL's and were involved with perhaps as many again for
other groups. That amounts to a huge pile of cash for the music licenses
involved which I and many colleagues have deemed as very unfair. Perhaps we
can now have a simple, cheap ticket in the form of a licence for broadcast
music of perhaps just a few hundred pounds in order to encourage would be
legal experimental broadcasters not as in the current regime of perhaps two
and a half thousand pounds.  Three points................Due to the high
RSL licence costs why can't it be deemed that all these very expensive
licenses were in fact mis sold. PPI all over again!! Secondly, I know of no
cases where the illegal broadcasters have been taken to court for non
payment of fees. That has always seemed most strange to me seeing as the
'music police' have always been so pro active over the charging of licence
fees. Lastly, as the number of radio stations grows to the point where the
total exceed the number of possible listeners as the number of broadcasters
rises then shouldn't the fees get cheaper. This does fall down on the point
that perhaps 'our dear listeners' are enjoying a number of radio stations
simultaneously!

Some points for discussion I think.
Colin Pearse / SUSY Radio / Reigate & Crawley😊