[cma-l] PPL / PRS for Music mini consultation

Murray Dawson murray at shmu.org.uk
Fri Feb 12 08:45:47 GMT 2016

I fully support your proposal Paul.

First task is to make this the policy for the CMA so that it is the position of the sector - Bill can you explain what the process is to discuss this at Council and what the process is?

Thanks

Murray

On 12 February 2016 08:10:49 GMT+00:00, Paul Golder <paul at pvg.co.uk> wrote:
>> Put bluntly, PPL doesn’t owe your station a living. Does the
>electricity
>company give you free electricity just because you are non-profit, or
>the
>phone company, or… of course not, which is why it costs £30-50k to run
>the
>smallest of full-time stations.
>
>No one owes us a living, but whereas I doubt the electricity company
>are
>getting any benefit from us using their product, PPL's members probably
>see
>us as a bit more useful.
>
>PRS and PPL are always talking about what good they do for the music
>community ... perhaps they can be persuaded to give up that 0.02% of
>their
>income by supporting a tier of radio that gives airplay to its unsigned
>members looking to get a step up.
>
>Keeping to the point .. we've got a rare opportunity to renegotiate
>these
>contracts in our favour, so let's ask for free and see where we meet in
>the
>middle.
>
>Paul
>Phoenix FM

Murray Dawson
Chief Executive
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen AB24 2WB
01224 515013
murray.dawson at shmu.org.uk
www.shmu.org.uk

SHMU is a charity registered in Scotland - SC034211 and a registered Limited Company - SC332413.

This correspondence is confidential and is solely for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part thereof. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this correspondence from your system and notify the sender immediately. No warranty is given that this correspondence is free from any virus. Any views or opinions expressed in this correspondence do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Station House Media Unit.