[cma-l] PPL / PRS for Music mini consultation

Paul Golder paul at pvg.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 08:10:49 GMT 2016

> Put bluntly, PPL doesn’t owe your station a living. Does the electricity
company give you free electricity just because you are non-profit, or the
phone company, or… of course not, which is why it costs £30-50k to run the
smallest of full-time stations.

No one owes us a living, but whereas I doubt the electricity company are
getting any benefit from us using their product, PPL's members probably see
us as a bit more useful.

PRS and PPL are always talking about what good they do for the music
community ... perhaps they can be persuaded to give up that 0.02% of their
income by supporting a tier of radio that gives airplay to its unsigned
members looking to get a step up.

Keeping to the point .. we've got a rare opportunity to renegotiate these
contracts in our favour, so let's ask for free and see where we meet in the
middle.

Paul
Phoenix FM