[cma-l] PPL / PRS for Music mini consultation

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 17:49:32 GMT 2016

Nick

I can see where you’re coming from, but sadly the ‘simple route’ is simply
not currently available, and PPL has the law on its side. The bottom line is
that you are providing a service that is partly facilitated by the use of
PPL’s members’ products, and PPL doesn’t see why it should let you use those
products for free in order to ‘merely provide a service’. Put bluntly, PPL
doesn’t owe your station a living. Does the electricity company give you
free electricity just because you are non-profit, or the phone company, or

of course not, which is why it costs £30-50k to run the smallest of
full-time stations.

Of course the law could be changed to give greater recognition of the value
to society of community radio, and specify that as part of the deal giving
them statutory collection rights, the copyright societies should be obliged
to allow free use by non-profit radio. But until that golden day, PPL is
within its rights, and all you can argue about is the method and amounts of
the calculations.

No amount of raging about the injustice of it all for non-profits will
change that.

In fact, in the case of community licensees it’s precisely the ‘non-profit’
aspect that they use to justify the minimum payment from stations that are
not allowed to sell advertising, are highly grant/donation-funded, or are
highly restricted in what they can sell. PPL maintains that measuring
broadcast revenue doesn’t give what it regards as a fair payment for the way
its members recordings make it possible for you to provide an attractive
service at all.

However, PPL is greedy and vulnerable to challenge in the scale and nature
of its charges, as those are not set by law except to the extent that
rulings are obtained from the Copyright Tribunal, and the Tribunal has never
approved minimum charges. In fact in the past it has indicated disapproval
of them as they amount to charging ‘premiums’. The minimum fee is also
challengeable on the basis that it is inequitable, ie unfair to small
stations as they are made to pay a proportionately higher royalty rate than
larger ones.

I’m ducking down behind the desk now!

Alex