[cma-l] Broadcasting (Radio Multiplex Services) Bill 2016-17

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 16:41:22 GMT 2016

Afternoon

The Broadcasting (Radio Multiplex Services) Bill 2016-17 is a Private
Member's Bill to "make provision about the regulation of small-scale radio
multiplex services; and for connected purposes".

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2016-17/broadcastingradiomultiplexserv
icesbill.html

The Bill was first presented to the Commons on 4th July by Kevin Foster MP
and was supported by:

   - Wendy Morton
   - Michael Tomlinson
   - Maggie Throup
   - Valerie Vaz
   - Peter Heaton-Jones
   - David Warburton
   - Kit Malthouse
   - Danny Kinahan
   - Mike Wood

The Bill will have its second reading on *Friday 13 January 2017.*

This Bill has Government support but there is no Parliamentary time
available in which to debate it so, I understand, that it will need the
support of the Opposition in order be able to pass to the next stage.

We recommend reading the Ofcom report on the DAB trial so far.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/
76921/small_scale_dab_trials_statement.pdf

Next year will be a critical year from small-scale DAB and the CMA hopes to
put on a small-scale DAB event in the Spring to discuss the opportunities
and potential drawbacks that this new broadcast platform might present to
the community radio sector.

Ash Elford from Angel Radio/Angel Digital will be speaking at the CMA
members-only networking event (sold out) this Saturday hosted at BBC
Broadcasting House.

Bill
--
Operations Manager