[cma-l] Update

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Mon Dec 12 14:04:10 GMT 2016

Some work has been done by James Cridland to see if there is a relationship
between the total number of TuneIn followers that a radio station has
and their RAJAR weekly reach

https://media.info/uk/radio/data/rajar-vs-tunein

The Pearson’s Correlation Coefficient between TuneIn and RAJAR, of the data
in the link above, is 0.87. A coefficient above 0.4 is supposed to show a
strong positive relationship; above 0.7 a very strong one.

In the data above, 4.3 is the average multiplier between RAJAR weekly
listening and TuneIn followers. So, if a station has 2,000 TuneIn
followers, they might have have 8,544 listeners on FM.

However the number of TuneIn followers simply shows the total amount of
people who have hit a follow button. RAJAR weekly reach shows people who
listen to a station regularly. More people might listen to a radio station
than the number of followers shows.

Can't read too much into this at the end of the day.

Bill
--
Operations Manager
Community Media Association