[cma-l] update

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Sat Dec 10 10:15:22 GMT 2016

Some good points.

However hand-in-hand with audience figures - or possibly more importantly
for some stations - is being able to measure the social return on
investment: that £1,000 invested in community media will leverage that
initial investment a multiple of times.

And following on from that is being able to make the case that investment
in community media is cost-effective when compared to other forms of social
and community investment.

Audience figures alone will not demonstrate to Government and funders the
impact and value of the work that a community radio project delivers.

>From talking to funders, such as The Power To Change, a problem that they
have encountered is that community media projects need to clearly
demonstrate the benefits that they are delivering to their neighbourhoods
at the grass-roots level.

One key problem is that you cannot prove a negative. It is very difficult
to say that funding of X thousand pounds in this community media project
led to these people staying out of prison, or those people not committing
crime, or that person not needing medical help because they became
empowered to take control of their own health.

Some outcomes and impacts (for example, increased community cohesion,
intergenerational and intercultural dialogue, safer neighbourhoods) cannot
be easily associated with a monetary value or a simple metric such as
audience numbers. However, the CMA will continue to develop proving the
worth of community media through research on measuring audiences
<http://www.commedia.org.uk/go/measuring-audiences/> and partnerships with
members such as The Radio Hub <http://theradiohub.co.uk/> and Radio Regen
<http://www.communityradiotoolkit.net/> who are to join the CMA Council at
the next AGM.

The Community Media Survey, the Community Media Conference, and the
regional networking opportunities in 2017 will make a valuable contribution
to the work of the CMA office and the volunteer input of the CMA Council in
making a stronger case for the social return on investment that community
media has a track record in delivering.

Bill
--
Operations Manager