[cma-l] Ofcom CR Licensing - Region 10

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 13:11:21 BST 2016

Ofcom has said that it intends to open Region 10 (London inside the M25) for CR applications next - after the announcement of country-wide Applications for AM frequencies.
I won't open that last huge can of worms at the moment.
I was working in East London this week and whilst taking a break, switched on the car radio.I found - not unexpectedly - that there were more illegal broadcasters at what I would consider service level than licensed stations.My regular scanning system in my OE car radio found:90.4 - (no RDS PS)90.8 - LIGHTNIN95.3 - MEGA LDN96.5 - DEMRAYDO99.3 - SELECTUK99.8 - TWITTER104.0 - (no RDS PI)102.8 - RDYOUMOY101.5 - EMPIRE101.8 - BIZIM106.0 - STUDIO (locked scrolling PI)That was in a few minutes in one location well out of Central London.
Ofcom is regularly on record as saying that the FM spectrum is a scarce commodity and there are few if any frequencies available - especially in London.
Not surprising - look who's using them!Recently I have heard from several "reformed pirates" of a tacit arrangement with Ofcom whereby they are warned of a raid in advance against a deal where a piece of equipment is surrendered.
No names - no packdrill - and no legal action anticipated - but is this something we should tolerate?I'm going to ask that of Sharon White - Ofcom's CEO - with whom a Client now has a line of contact - and respectfully suggest that it's not rocket science to get rid of the pirates - which is surely Ofcon's duty anyway - and  free those frequencies for legitimate Licence-paying broadcasters.
Any objectors?
Ian HicklingPartnerOffice: 016 3557 8435  (07h to 22h GTS)Car: 075 3098 0115 (only responds when driving)6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS