[cma-l] Eddie on DAB v FM

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 12:46:22 BST 2015

Good points… my six pence worth…

There’s too much money and vested interest in DAB for the powers that be to contemplate replacing it with anything else when it's hardly ubiquitous.

Ian you are right this is ridiculous when radio in the next few years will change significantly, inevitably going IP based and them becoming truly platform independent.

However, I believe that commercial radio, including community radio will have difficult times (interesting opportunities) ahead because fundamentally the more choice people have the more diluted the revenue stream. A case in point is the radio player – a very useful but clear attempt to focus the listener’s choice to stop them drifting off elsewhere on the internet.

At some point in the future the IP delivery bandwidth issue will be solved, at which time I think it’s a fair bet that almost all radio will be bespoke – News Ads, and Music will be adjusted to fit the listener’s profile. We’ve had this for a while on the internet with Spotify etc, but Absolute radio’s breakfast show is a good broadcast example and Sky's AdSmart (Ok for TV) is another.

I also think RAJAR would change (if it existed at all) into a realtime analytics company consolidating radio demographic and IP data traffic into listener profiles for fully automated radio sales.

Right, must crack on now with some steam radio!

Kind Regards

Alan

Let’s Talk Business

Twitter - @LTBShow