[cma-l] Eddie on DAB v FM

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 4 09:45:03 BST 2015

As we've come to expect - Alex has injected a level of common sense and sanity.
Even the smallest and simplest FM stations have the capacity from a simple cheap RDS encoder to transmit data in their PS, PI, PT and MS codes to identify their programming and stance to receivers - but most either can't or don't use that information without a deal of input from the listener.
So he's right - there's only a lack of application by lethargic and uninspired manufacturers to prevent station selection now by name and also by  four other sorting criteria,.
At the risk of being branded an eternal Luddite, I'll restate my mantra that in the UK we have probably the best terrestrial digital radio infrastructure anywhere with lots of potential spectrum available for use.
We bravely jumped very early and adopted Eureka 147, branded as "DAB" - which is now accepted as archaic and expandable.
No-one else anywhere appears to be prepared to commit to a world-wide system in which manufacturers can have total confidence.
Are we not now in a position where we can make the next bold jump to convert our comprehensive but tired DTR system to a new format - and again show the world the way?

Ian Hickling
Partner

Office: 01635 578435  (7am-11pm UK time)Carphone: 07530 980115 (only responds when driving)6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS