[cma-l] Review of the approach to community radioKey Commitments

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Fri Oct 16 22:58:33 BST 2015

Ian,

All excellent but my experience is that Ofcom are far from what you describe.

We asked for an increase of ERP from 25W to 100W. There was a professionally written business case, we had support from 3 local MPs, a comprehensive Arqiva report and a listener’s survey. This was not for an extension of the coverage but so our planned coverage could be achieved.  It took the best part of 1 year for Ofcom to ultimately say no - no appeal just that it was 'not policy' to permit an increase.

To add insult to injury the local commercial station had earlier been permitted an increase from 100W to 1,000W to meet their business plans.

As one MP said at the time “Ofcom have some of the most expensive employees of any department… but they have no idea who they work for”.

Kind Regards

Alan

Alan Coote

Hear Alan Every Week on Let’s Talk Business The UK’s Premier Radio Programme For Current and Future Entrepreneurs - Now Broadcast To Over 7 Million People

Email - alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk

Phone - 0800 949 6655

Mobile - 07801 518858

Twitter - @TheAlanCoote