[cma-l] Review of the approach to community radioKey Commitments

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 17 14:56:25 BST 2015

AlanI can only reiterate our experience.We had a similar situation to yours with a CR Licensee who was allocated 25 + 25 - with an antenna restriction - to cover the two towns in his application whose centres are 7km apart - overall area width being 16km.We made the point very enthusiastically to Ofcom with predictions that 100 + 100 would cover it efficiently - and were allocated 50 + 50 after 4 weeks of discussion - with the same frequency - and no restriction.
I should stress that this was done  before installation commenced - and with a sophisticated antenna system intuitively installed at an optimal site (see attached) the Client has made no complaint.Another recent example is where a Licensee was concerned that a commercial broadcaster on each first adjacent channel was audible in his licensed area and after representation by a fellow engineer, Ofcom increased the allocated ERP from 25 + 25 to 50 + 50 without his having to formally request it.So - it can be done.We too have had the response that it isn't Ofcom's policy to do something we requested - again on behalf of a broadcaster. I wrote to a senior management contact - with an open copy to a certain figurehead in the DCMS - and suggested politely that if Ofcom is to be seen to be fulfilling its stated obligations then it should review its policy.No reply as yet. But I submit that the "No appeal"  response is unacceptable - and essentially inconsistent with the concept of a democratic society.
Don't tolerate it!
Ian Hickling
Partner

Office: 01635 578435  (7am-11pm UK time)Carphone: 07530 980115 (only responds when driving)6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS