[cma-l] Suggestions to get more out of a volunteer

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Fri Oct 16 12:58:21 BST 2015

Darren / Ian et al

Yes, we all understand this one. It's actually a lot easier to apply the
system ... if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself. Some volunteers
are very good, some are not very good and some take the michael ... we know
who they are. Don't waste your energy on those who don't deserve it.

We've gotten shot of about 6 since we started, which to be honest over 12
years isn't bad.

I think Ian is slightly in denial with the tinkering though. I agree with
baby minding new work experience and trainees, but surely not baby minding
folk who have been with you 5 years. We've still got volunteers who leave
the Studio a tip, don't do anything apart from a show, break headphones,
leave lights on, don't follow simple health and safety and as Ian says, if
any are reading this, you know who you are.

Unfortunately there is ill-feeling sometimes, and I don't think there is an
answer. If you get to heavy handed you could end up like General Custer
stood on your own.

Oh the love of Community Radio              IT'S FANTASTIC
YABBA-DABBA-DOO                 Monkeeeeee Magic

Nick

  _____