[cma-l] Suggestions to get more out of a volunteer

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 10:12:56 BST 2015

DarrenWe've seen this time and time again where problems with studios and interfering with essential controls have been blamed on volunteers.
My reaction is always "Why do you let them? You need to manage them better" - to which the response is "They're all volunteers - you can't order them around - or they'll leave"
So the answer is good people management skills.
Make them welcome - to feel an essential part of the station - and at the same time gently tell them why responsible behaviour and good housekeeping are essential.
Some of our Client stations have a large number of underprivileged volunteers and people with specific social needs.You need to have a very special kind of Station Manager to make this work.
They'll be reading this and they'll know who I mean!Seminar material again?
Ian Hickling
Partner

Office: 01635 578435  (7am-11pm UK time)Carphone: 07530 980115 (only responds when driving)6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS