[cma-l] How community radio is helping young survivors talk about sexual abuse

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Nov 16 13:20:46 GMT 2015

>From The Guardian 16th November 2015

It’s the primetime evening slot on Manchester’s Unity Radio
<http://www.unityradio.fm/>, and Professor Green is blasting out over the
airwaves. Listeners to this dance and urban music station might not realise
there is anything different about this show until its presenters begin to
speak.

For two hours on a Thursday evening, the station is taken over by 11 to
16-year-olds for a youth show with a difference. Among the hottest new
tracks are serious discussions on child sexual exploitation (CSE) led by
young people who have experienced CSE themselves.

“I think it’s making young people more aware about where, how and why it’s
happening. I think it does persuade children to talk to adults – their
parents, to social workers or teachers,” says one of the young people
involved in the Next Gen Youths (NGY)
<http://www.unityradio.fm/the-ngy-next-gen-youths-show-each-and-every-thursday-7-9pm/>
show.
The NGY show’s strapline is “helping young people lead safer and happier
lives”; its aim to spread awareness of CSE so the station’s young listeners
are better able to understand what a healthy relationship is.

More:
http://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2015/nov/16/community-radio-young-people-child-sexual-exploitation-abuse

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation