[cma-l] 103 The Eye Celebrates 10th Birthday With Major Awards

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Nov 16 13:07:39 GMT 2015

There was a special 10th birthday present for community radio station 103
The Eye which broadcasts to the Vale of Belvoir and Melton Mowbray on the
Leicestershire-Nottinghamshire border.

103 The Eye won Community Champion 2015 at the annual community awards
ceremony held by the local newspaper, the Melton Times. In addition, the
station received a Special Recognition Award from the paper, along with a
birthday cake to mark its 10 years of community broadcasting.

The awards recognised the station's strong commitment to serving all
sectors of the community, its training provision, its support for local
charities and its role in championing worthwhile causes - ranging from
promoting environmental awareness to giving airtime to unsigned local bands.

103 The Eye was represented at the awards ceremony by directors Christine
Slomkowska and Patrick McCracken, by Mark Frisby who is one of the
longest-serving presenters, and by Councillor Jeanne Douglas, Mayor of
Melton, who is also a presenter on the station. Awards were presented by
Melton Times editor Mark Edwards and chief reporter Christian March.

Christine said afterwards: "We were thrilled to win the Melton Times
Community Champion award at last in this, our 10th birthday year, as we had
previously won Highly Commended several times. Then they announced the
Special Recognition Award as well, which really put the icing on the cake.

"We have a very good working relationship with the Melton Times and we hold
a weekly press conference with them to discuss the latest news every
Thursday."

103 The Eye is run entirely by volunteers and has a team more than 50
people. It was the first community station to launch under the new tier of
radio licensed by OFCOM in 2005 and has just embarked on its third five
year licence.

Other awards it has won over the years include the Mayor of Melton's Award
Of Merit (2009), the Federation of Small Businesses (Leicestershire,
Northamptonshire and Rutland) Contributions To The Community (2010) and the
People Development Award in the Melton Times Business Awards (2013).

Last February, 103 The Eye organised a Community Radio Networking and
Information Day, a new event to enable operators of other community
stations from across the country to meet up, make new contacts and exchange
information and support for mutual benefit. It was so well received that
the station will hold another similar event on 16 April 2015, again
in Melton Borough Council's Civic Suite.

Picture online:
http://www.commedia.org.uk/news/2015/11/103-the-eye-10th-birthday/

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation