[cma-l] Draft Community Radio (Amendment) Order 2015 - Commons debate, 24th March 2015

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Mar 25 12:20:43 GMT 2015

Highlights:

*Chris Bryant MP, Rhondda (Labour)*

"Many stations face a difficult financial settlement. The amount of money
available through the fund for all community radio stations across the
whole sector is £393,000. Originally, there were only 14 community radio
stations. There are now more than 200, so the vast majority do not get any
funding out of that at all. The average amount that they get is very small,
which poses a real difficulty for them. I would merely compare that
£393,000 for community radio with the £40 million that the Government, in
their infinite lack of wisdom, decided to give to local television
services, despite the fact that so far they have not proved to be an
enormous success, with only six of them up and running."

*Ed Vaizey MP, Wantage (Conservative)*

"...I have said when debating other issues—previously, to do with digital
radio—it is important that we stress cross-party support for the sectors,
particularly for community radio, especially as it began under the previous
Labour Government. Community radio is an unequivocal success story.

I agree with the hon. Gentleman that after the election the next
Government, whoever they may be, should take a long, hard look at community
radio, because a vibrant ecosystem has been created. These wonderful
stations are professionally run, providing an outlet for many talented
people and a huge resource for their local communities. I would put
community radio up there as one of the key priorities for the next
Broadcasting Minister to consider."
*Hansard record:*

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmgeneral/deleg9/150324/150324s01.htm

*Online catch-up here:*