[cma-l] Changes to S-RSL applications for radio

Marc Tierney marc.tierney at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 17 11:52:04 GMT 2015

Taken from the Ofcom Broadcast Bulletin, Issue 275, Page 8/9, 16 March 2015

Changes to short-term Restricted Service Licence applications for radio

We currently grant short-term Restricted Service Licences (“S-RSLs”) on
the AM and FM wavebands for:

  * coverage of special events (including festivals such as Ramadan and
    Christmas);
  * other special projects (e.g. training); and
  * trial services (e.g. in preparation for applying for a community
    radio licence).

Within the context of our duties to ensure a wide range of radio
services, and to manage and use radio spectrum efficiently, we limit
licensees to:

  * a small geographical coverage area (typically a two mile radius in
    an urban area, or a three to four mile radius in a rural area);
  * a usual maximum of 28 consecutive days; and
  * a maximum of two licences per year, with a minimum four-month gap
    between the end of the first broadcast and the start of the second
    (although only one licence per year is permitted in the area within
    the M25).

To ensure that our S-RSL licensing processes remain fair, robust, and
that the available spectrum is used optimally, we are planning to make
the following changes:

1) ‘Trial’ S-RSL broadcasts will only be granted in areas where new
permanent analogue licences (i.e. FM and AM) are due to be advertised by
Ofcom. For clarity, our S-RSL guidance notes will contain links to the
web pages which list our forthcoming licence advertisements in
commercial and community radio.

2) The duration of any ‘event’ S-RSL broadcasts will need to broadly
reflect the duration of the event. While we may permit the service to
broadcast some days pre- or post-event, it is likely that we will reject
applications where a short duration event (e.g. a weekend) has been used
to justify a full 28-day S-RSL. A letter of corroboration, confirming
the event’s duration, will be required from the event organiser.