[cma-l] DAB

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Wed Jul 22 15:06:02 BST 2015

I think the EU directive was put in place to rationalise the copyright of all parties involved.

The 1988 copyright law allowed for the rights for the works i,e, the words and music to be in place for 70 years from the end of the year that the last remaining rights owner died. So recordings made two generations ago would still easily be in copyright.

If my understanding is correct, the 2013 EU directive puts a 70 year copyright rule in place for the production of the sound rather than 50 years. The creators of the words and music still have rights to the work for 70 years after they die as per the 1988 legislation.

For example if (god forbid) Paul, Ringo or George Martin all popped their clogs tomorrow the Beatles Love Me Do would be in copyright one way or another until January 1st 2086.

I’d be really happy if someone more knowledgeable than I (which won’t be difficult) could clarify?

Kind Regards
Alan