[cma-l] DAB

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Wed Jul 22 15:44:43 BST 2015

Alan

The performers' and composers' rights last, as you say, until 70 years after
their death, but that is the PRS side of things.

PPL represents the record companies, and for them, the copyright lasted 50
years from date of publication for recordings published before 1 November
1963, and lasts 70 years for more recent recordings. So all recordings up to
31 Oct 1963 are out of copyright as far as PPL rights are concerned, but no
more will come out of copyright until 1 Nov 2033.

The EU directive didn't fully rationalize things: copyright in radio
broadcasts lasts only 50 years from first TX, so original radio material
from 1966 onwards is now coming out of copyright.

Alex